Saturday, November 29, 2008

Spellbound

I loved this documentary! It brought me back to middle school all over again and thought of my own experiences trying to get into the spelling bee and my friends who did win the spelling bee, etc. The way the film was edited together made it so you wouldn’t be able to tell who the winner of the spelling bee was.

In fact, most of the kids had such character I wasn’t sure who I wanted to win, or who would win. I found myself being anxious with the parents and spelling along with the children feeling the same tensions that they did. When I finally thought I knew who would be the winner of the spelling bee, I was wrong, haha. I want to know their process of making this film. For as many children that went to the spelling bee I wondered how they decided which children they were going to film. For some I understood because they had been to the spelling bee multiple times.

I also wondered how long it took for them to gather all the footage they needed and organize it, considering I’m in the organizing process of my doc.

No comments: